Curry Chicken, well it’s about time I post one. It’s one of my family favorite way to prepare chicken. This is a recipe you will love , it’s not just any chicken recipe, it’s The Most Amazing Caribbean Curry Chicken, well in my eyes and the taste-bud of everyone who have ever tasted my curry chicken.
Chicken pieces are cutup and rinse with some lemon or lime juice, I just love the flavor of citrus on my chicken, marinade with some good old fashioned green seasoning and you are good to go . Get the Green Seasoning Recipe HERE.
Add some curry powder right into the chicken for amazing great flavor. OH YEAH! Let it sit in the green seasoning for at least 2 hours or overnight.
The best curry in the Caribbean is the Chief brand Curry, but nothing beats the curry with the leaves from the local market vendors
Garlic and Curry being sauteed with a curry paste
Saute garlic and curry in oil for at least 30 – 60 seconds
Add chicken and make sure it is well coated with garlic and curry
The finished product
- 4 pounds’ chicken pieces, rinsed, skinned and fat removed
- ¼ cup of lemon juice for rinsing chicken or 2 fresh lemons
- ¼ cup green seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chief roasted ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chief garam masala
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup chief curry powder, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup water, plus ¾ cup for the curry paste
- 4 sprigs cilantro or chadon - beni
- Rinse Chicken with lemon juice. Place chicken in a bowl. Season with green seasoning, turmeric, cumin, masala, black pepper, 1 tablespoon curry powder and salt
- Allow chicken to marinate at least two hours or overnight
- This is optional (Read the Notes)
- Add ¼ cup curry powder to a bowl. Pour in ¾ cup water and stir until dissolved.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic and saute for about 30 seconds stirring constantly. Pour in the curry mix and cook for 30 seconds , stirring constantly as well. Curry will start getting brownish in color. If the mixture becomes too dry during cooking, add 2 tablespoon water.
- Add chicken. Stir to coat the chicken, making sure the chicken gets coated all over with the curry, save the remaining seasoning from the bowl
- Cook, covered, on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add remaining seasoning from bowl along with one cup water .Stir!
- Cook covered on medium high for about 20 to 25 minutes longer or until chicken is cooked through
- Add chopped cilantro or chadon-beni, stir in.
- At the end, be sure to taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with rice, roti or any other of your favorite side.
Just add the curry right after the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds on low heat, then follow the same steps.