Better than Takeout with our secret ingredient.
No, literally, this Chicken and Broccoli is better than takeout, I mean it is so good! I can’t stop eating it.
I know you’re asking yourself – Chinese Chicken and Broccoli in the Caribbean? Hell, Yeah! After all, there are a lot of Chinese immigrants who migrated to the Caribbean Islands and contributed much to the food culture, especially in Trinidad and Tobago , we may not be as heavily populated as other countries with Chinese immigrants, but we do have enough in Trinidad and Tobago to be inspired and create a Chinese recipe with a big Caribbean influence.
This recipe was created because of my love of Chinese food and spices, or should I say the love of all things Asian, after Caribbean off course.
Let me tell you, growing up in Trinidad which is one of the best Caribbean island by the way, I maybe a little bias here, but it’s understood, I was born and raise there. Anyway, back to my story.
I grew up in a little village in the central part of the island and had to go to Port of Spain where all the Chinese restaurant and food trucks were, I would literally travel miles just to buy Trini Style Chinese food, that food was so good! So a few days ago I was craving some Caribbean style Chinese food
- Chicken Marinade
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut thin and sliced into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoon rice wine
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- 3-4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Stir Fry
- 2 tablepoon peanut or vegetable oil
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced/grated
- 1 medium carrot , thinly cut on the diagonal
- 1 red bell pepper, cutup in 1" pieces
- 4 -5 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite size pieces
- ¼ - ½ cup water, plus 1 tablespoon
- 3 medium scallions, sliced (optional)
- 6 leaves chadobeni, finely chopped or cilantro
- Whisk together chicken marinade ingredients in a large ziplock bag or bowl and mix well. Add chicken and massage in marinade until well coated. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours
- When ready to make Chicken and Broccoli, whisk the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl, set aside
- In a wok or large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Add garlic and ginger. Stir, for 10 seconds ,then add chicken and turn heat to high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken has lost its pink color, three to five minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a large plate and cover.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the now-empty skillet; heat until very hot and sizzling. Add the carrot and stirfry for about 3 minutes along with ½ of the chopped scallions.
- Add broccoli and saute for 30 seconds. Add water, cover pan, and lower heat to medium. Steam broccoli until crisp-tender, about 1 - 2 minutes or until broccoli is bright green.
- Push the carrot and broccoli to the sides of the skillet and add the bell pepper to the center of the pan, Stir!
- Return the chicken to the skillet and toss to combine. Whisk the sauce to recombine then add to the skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and chicken is cooked through, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add chadobeni or cilantro and mix well.
- Transfer to a serving platter, sprinkle with the scallions, and serve with white rice.