So by now, we all know that kale is crazy good for you. It’s popped up all over the place in the last few years as a super-food, and is being used in almost everything from salads and smoothies, too even burgers.
Although kale was not something I had while growing up in the Caribbean, it has now been introduced to Island tables and we are loving it. I first had kale over a thanksgiving dinner about 20 odd years or so ago, since then it has been on my table every chance I get. You have to try this salad. It Is Just So Good!
This is a salad that looks good on your plate and is so good for you. And because it has big, tasty flavors, it’s perfect for pairing with any type of protein. Mixed with the lemon or lime juice and chadobeni or cilantro and you’ve got yourself a Caribbean Inspired Salad, can even be paired with mango for an even more Caribbean flavor.
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and finely chopped/shredded
- 1 green granny smith apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 leaves chadobeni or 4 sprigs cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs parsley, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 - 4 tablespoon dry cranberries
- Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl wjfh the exception of the cranberry.. Massage and mix well with hands
- Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving to allow kale to soften up a bit.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the cranberry on top
You can substitute apple with a half ripe mango.
You can also cut your apple in thin half moons like you see in one of the images.